Director of Finance and Administration
The Gander International Airport Authority is a not-for-profit organization created in 1996 to manage operations at Gander International Airport (CYQX). The airport plays a vital role in the economic and community development of the Central Newfoundland region. The airport’s economic contribution includes 1,260 full-time jobs, $90 million in wages, $140 million in GDP, and $240 million in economic impact.
The airport operates 24/7/365 without abatement and accommodates essentially everything that flies. Since 1938, the airport has hosted all forms of international aviation, including corporate, military, cargo and passenger aircraft. The airport is home to a flight school and government air services, including the provincial water bomber fleet and 103 Search and Rescue, a growing aerospace sector, a diverse community of aviation service providers, four airlines and an emerging business park. Gander is one of the world’s most unique and storied airports and finds itself in a critical period as we work toward post-Pandemic recovery.
The GIAA seeks a dynamic, proven financial professional to strengthen our team and grow our airport for the betterment of the Central Newfoundland region. This is a key strategic role on the airport’s senior leadership team reporting directly to the CEO and working closely with the GIAA’s Board of Directors and key stakeholders.
The position works to drive operational and financial performance. In addition to providing leadership in all financial areas, the position also leads the airport’s administrative, IT and HR functions.
You have solid financial acumen and solid commercial instincts. You are a strategist who can view the operation through a wide aperture. You can safeguard the airport’s financials and uncover solid investment opportunities.
The Director of Finance will support budgeting, contract negotiations, investments, enterprise risk management, performance and regulatory reporting, policy development, procurement, and asset management. The Director of Finance will focus on process enhancement and efficiencies as well as team building and development.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working collaboratively but independently and operate comfortably outside traditional day-to-day guardrails of financial management and accounting, making a broad contribution across all silos of the airport.
You are passionate about workplace culture and require strong leadership and people management skills. You communicate directly, openly and persuasively.
- Manage all accounting functions, including billing, receivables, receipts, payroll, purchases, payables, payments and inventory that feed the financial reporting and planning system
- Coordinate and direct the preparation of budgets and forecasts and report thereon
- Providing solutions to issues, optimizing new opportunities and identifying strategies to reduce risk
- Provide treasury oversight, including cash flow management, crisis management, business strategy and enterprise risk management to both internal and external stakeholders
- Review financial contracts, agreements, insurance policies and employee group benefit and pension plans
- Manage and comply with provincial and federal government reporting requirements
- Develop and document business processes and policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Support all departments with financial statement review and analysis
- Perform accounting and clerical duties related to the efficient maintenance and processing of transactions
- Legal affairs, contract management and lease administration
- Human Resource functions, including leading all union-related matters, including grievances and collective bargaining
- Coordinating the provision of Information Technology and cybersecurity service
- Supporting the airport’s commercial development and revenue generation goals
Required Education and Experience
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) accreditation
- Minimum five (5) years of recent experience in a supervisory management role and eight (8) years experience in progressive roles in Finance or Accounting
- Experience identifying business opportunities, analyzing the competitive landscape, and developing financial models, including structuring and negotiating acquisition and investment activities
- Experience and potential to lead HR and IT functions are considered an asset
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills with the ability to identify trends, establish benchmarks, and provide credible analysis and sound business recommendations
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of cash flow management and corporate finance
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office
The GIAA offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with your experience.
- Salary within a negotiable range of $115-140K per year
- Five weeks of vacation
- RRSP 5% employee/13% employer
- 1.5 sick days per month
- 5 days of family-related leave annually
- Medical, dental
Please submit your application before 5:00 pm NST on Friday, November 25.
Human Resources Department
Gander International Airport Authority
P.O. Box 400
Gander, NL, CANADA A1V 1W8
Make a connection
@MadameLaite @GanderAcademy @NLESDCA @townofgander Many of us at the airport do the same.
WestJet returns to Gander on June 29 with daily service to Halifax and beyond. https://t.co/xTpTbixiix
RT @stjohnsbot: Today, we call on Public Health to move the entire province to Alert Level 2 without delay. The data shows the risks of COV…
RT @bernardjdavis: This is fantastic news. https://t.co/buXLMILB88