Director of Operations
The Gander International Airport Authority (GIAA) operates the historic Gander International Airport. The airport operates 24/7/365 without abatement and accommodates essentially everything that flies. Since 1938, the airport has hosted all forms of international aviation, including corporate, military, cargo and passenger aircraft. The airport is home to a flight school and government air services, including the provincial water bomber fleet and 103 Search and Rescue, a growing aerospace sector, a diverse community of airline service providers, four airlines and an emerging business park. Gander is one of the world’s most unique and storied airports and finds itself in a critical period as we work toward post-Pandemic recovery.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Operations is responsible for all aspects of airport operations. This includes accountability for airfield and ground side operations, capital planning, airfield/facility maintenance, and regulatory compliance.
As a vital senior management team member, the position is responsible for developing and implementing annual business plans, budgets and long-term capital plans. The Director of Operations participates in Collective Bargaining and engages with the GIAA board and its committees as required.
The Director of Operations leads a cross-functional team and works with a diverse community of internal and external stakeholders to ensure operational integrity while making a broader contribution to the airport authority’s long-term goals.
The successful candidate is a results-oriented leader with solid business acumen. They demonstrate a high level of ownership and accountability and can manage people and change. They can coax the best out of a talented team and persevere in a challenging operating environment.
Oversees all operational aspects, including airside, landside and terminal operations, safety and security, emergency response and stakeholder management. The Director of Operations:
• Establishes strategies to guide the development and implementation of departmental goals, objectives, policies and procedures
• Works collaboratively to design and execute strategies to optimize operational effectiveness, capacity and efficiency
• Oversees the airport’s safety, security, and emergency response functions
• Contributes to the annual business planning and budgeting process
• Works with consultants to manage airport assets
• Coordinates construction and infrastructure maintenance
• Ensures regulatory compliance
• Forms productive and open working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, with an emphasis on airport tenants
• Serves as an ambassador and champion for Gander International Airport in the broader regional community
• Works closely with the Senior Leadership team and board to maintain the Emergency Management Framework
• Other duties commensurate with the position as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of airline, aircraft, and airport procedures
• Can foster productive working relationships with team members in a unionized working environment
• Strong commercial instincts, communications skills, problem-solving and decision-making
• Performs well under pressure and independently
• Experience in collective bargaining
• A natural collaborator and team builder who is engaged and committed
• Knowledge of regulations, standards, policies and procedures related to airfield maintenance and airport operations
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to develop and manage budgets
• Demonstrated ability to build strategic working relationships
• Able to effectively resolve conflict
• Proficient in Office suite, CAD a bonus
• Post-secondary degree or diploma in Aviation Management, Business Management, Engineering, Airport Operations Management, a related discipline, or the equivalent work experience and training
• Minimum of three years experience in an airport supervisory or managerial capacity
• Obtain an AVOP and D license
• Obtain and retain a Transportation/Public Works Security Clearance
Please submit your application before 5:00 pm NST on August 26, 2022:
Human Resources Department
Gander International Airport Authority
P.O. Box 400
Gander, NL, CANADA A1V 1W8